Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday Workout - Punch in the face

Got in this morning and Coach Brent was there all apologetic about not showing up on Wed. Said he had been sick and just overslept thinking it was a different day. Told him it was no big deal since Rob had a key and we were able to work out anyway. Warm up started with 400 meter run followed by 3 rounds of:

  • 10 PVC arm circles
  • 10 GHD back extensions
  • 10 burpees
The workout today was another hero WOD caller Hammer. This one is named for
 U.S. Army First Sergeant Michael "Hammer" Bordelon, 37, of Morgan City, Louisiana, assigned to the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), based out of Fort Lewis, Washington, died on May 10, 2005, from injuries sustained when a car bomb exploded near him in Mosul, Iraq on April 23, 2005.
It is prescribed as 5 rounds for time:

  •  5 power cleans (135/95)*
  • 10 front squats (135/95)*
  • 5 push jerks (135/95)*
  • 20 pull-ups
  • rest 90 seconds
* Do these exercises from the ground, i.e. not from the rack. As long as you keep the bar up in the proper position you need not put it down but if you need to put it down it goes to the ground which means another clean to get back to position. I modified the weights a bit and did the power cleans and front squats with 115# and the push jerks with 95#. I did the cleans unbroken all the way through but the squats I did 2 sets of 5 each round which meant an extra clean. Also the fact that I was using a different bar with less weight for the push jerk meant another clean on that too. I did most of the pull-ups as jumping pull-ups. I finished this in 32:33 but had a slight slow down on the last round. On my last push jerk I hit myself pretty hard in the chin and bit my tongue and chipped a tooth. I sort of thew the bar and went off to the rest room to make sure my tongue was still there. After a quick check I came back and finished the last 20 pull-ups. I already had a dentist appointment today for a follow up to gum surgery about a month ago so I will see what they say. I still have stitches in from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment