Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Skipped the Blog

I have not posted anything in a few days here so I guess I have a bit of catching up to do. I did a run last Thursday (look here for the stats). I did not get anything workouts done over the weekend. My wife was gone and I had the kids and it just never worked out right. On Monday I got up and did a warm up of 200 jump rope singles followed by 3 rounds:

  • 10 abmat sit-ups
  • 10 jumping jacks
  • 10 mountain climbers
This was followed up with 5 rounds for time of:

  • 10 man makers
  • 400 meter run
I completed this in 25:28 with 25# dumbbells. The man maker is sort of like a burpee except you do it with dumbbells. Drop to push-up position with the dumbbells in your hands, perform a push-up, right arm row, push-up, left arm row, feet between hands and stand, clean the dumbbells to shoulders and do a thruster to put the dumbbells overhead and that is one rep. I had done this before with 20# dumbbells in October of last year as you can see here.

This morning I got up and did a warm up of  a 400 meter run followed by 2 rounds:

  • 10 push-up
  • 10 pull-up
  • 10 PVC arm circles
The workout was a 20:00 AMRAP:

  • 10 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (95/75)
  • 5 Overhead Squats (95/75)
  • 15 Deadlifts (95/75)
I can't do all of these with 95# so I set up 2 bars. I did the SDHP and OH Squats with 60# and the Deadlift with 95#. I could probably have done the SDHP with a bit more weight but not the OH Squats and I only have 2 bars so this seemed like the best approach. I got a great workout and completed 7 full rounds and up through 2 deadlifts on the eighth. I did 4 full rounds in the first 10:00 so I must have slowed a little on the second half.

I finally got all the bumper plate issues resolved. I ended up going back to Play It Again Sports where I had bought my bars and finding one that they all fit on and they exchanged it. So I now have 2 bars that all the bumper plates fit on but they are both only 28# and 6 feet not the 7 foot 443 ones I am used to using. I bought some light weights to make one 33#, the women's bar weight for my wife, and 44# for me. The folks at Again Faster have been very good about making things right. They sent out replacements the first go around and were going to send more when I had problems again but I got the new bar. I will say that I think the issue was a combination of both the bars and their bumper plates. The replacement plates had metal shavings on them and the customer service rep said they had the people at the factory try them on a bunch of bars before sending so I assume they had to adjust them. They also are not really all the same width. I noticed this because I made a rack for the weights and the new ones did not fit like the old. They did make it all right though so I think they will have my business next time I need some gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment