Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Heavy Cleans, Well Not Really Heavy...

I got up this morning and started with a warm up of 100 jump rope singles followed by 3 rounds:

  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 sit-ups
  • 10 air squats
I was thinking as I was doing the jump ropes how much better I am at these than I used to be. I have not done much practice but I used to not be able to string together 20 singles without tripping. I know am more limited by my endurance than clumsiness. Progress I guess. Perhaps I should try some double unders sometime...

I then did 15 minutes of strength work consisting of a search for a 3 rep max on squat cleans. I had watched some videos last night on squat cleans, very detailed, and wanted to concentrate on my form and perhaps did not concentrate as much on going heavy. I am fine with that though. as I have mentioned before I have never been much of a fan of maxing anything.The video I watched can be seen here. Interestingly this video is from again faster, the same company I bought my gear from. I don't know who the instructor is but I am more impressed with these guys now that I have found their videos online than I was after they fixed my bumper plate issues. I guess I would say if you are buying gear I would really check these folks out, and no they are not paying me.

My squat clean numbers for 3 reps each time over the 15 minutes were 58#, 78#, 78#, 88#, 98#, 108# (Failed), 108# (2). I repeated the 78# set because the first time my form was wrong. I got my hands out in front of me as is talked about in the video and ended  up having to take a step forward to catch it so I decided to redo that weight and get the form right. On the first 108# attempt I flat out failed. On the second 108# attempt I hit the first but felt my back arch out at the bottom on the second and thought better of going for a third. I am clearly not fluid on the move and should continue to focus on form.

The next part of the workout was a 15:00 AMRAP

Infinity ladder (1, 2, 3, 4,...)

  • Hang power clean (115/75)
  • Toes-to-bar
*100 meter sprint between each round*

I set up 98# on the bar and did the workout with that. I have a bit of an issue with the 100 meter sprint in the middle since I work out in the basement. I have to run upstairs and out the garage to do the sprint so that slows me a bit. I completed up through 7 of the cleans and 1 toes-to-bar on the 7th round before the 15:00 ran out. I was again trying to focus on some of the form from the video, I still need some work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment