Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Monday and Wednesday

Well I got a little backed up on the posts so this will cover two days. Monday we had the giant storm coming in but I still got up and made my way in for the 6:00 am class. I was the only one there for the class. I don't recall the warm up but the workout was a 20 minute AMRAP:
  • 25 kettlebell swings (53/35)
  • 25 wall ball shots (20/16)
  • 10 burpees
I completed 5 rounds exactly with 35# on the kettlebell and 16# on the wall ball shots. I tried starting off with the 53# kettlebell and knocked out 1 rep before I realized I would fuck my back all up if I stayed at that weight. I dropped it and grabbed the 35# kettlebell I had strategically placed directly next to me for when I wussed out on the prescribed weight. I also started the wall ball shots with 20# but switched to 16# part way through the second round. It is so much harder to push yourself when you are the only one there doing the workout. I think if someone else was next to me I likely would have done a bit more. That is not to say I wasn't wiped because I was but I think I could have pushed a bit harder. With that in mind I decided to punish myself a bit today.

Today's workout was a special Halloween WOD with the following note on the web site
Come in Costume (31 burpee penalty post-WOD for no costume)
Well, I don't ever look at the site ahead of time because I do not want to know the workout in case it is something I don't want to do so I had no costume. Not to mention, I would have had a tough time doing a workout in my costume.

The workout was a Halloween Chipper: Complete all 10 of the following for time.
  • Row for calories - 31 Cal
  • Bar facing burpees - 31 reps
  • Slam balles - 31 reps (30/20)
  • Double unders - 31 rep or single unders - 93 reps
  • Air squat - 31 reps
  • Kettlebell swings - 31 reps (53/35)
  • Box jumps - 31 reps (24/20in)
  • Toes-toBar - 31 reps
  • Dumbbell deadlift - 31 reps (2x45/2x30)
  • GHD sit-ups - 31 reps
Chipper WOD's are designed to be pretty challenging just based on quantity and variety of moves. Typically you will need to come up with some sort of rep scheme to pace yourself so you can make it through an entire chipper without failing before the end. A good example of failure before the end was my performance on the filthy fifty a while back. Because of the number of us there to do the workout we had to start at different moves in the list so we were not all on the same exercise at the same time. I started at slam balls, which in hind sight might not have been the best choice because it meant I had to end with burpees which is always a bitch. I completed the workout in 22:55 and did 35# on the swings and singles for the jump ropes. Everything else was as stated. Not a bad time for me I don't think. I was only :30 behind the one guy that beat me and he usually beats me pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment