Sunday, October 21, 2012

Saturday on Sunday Again

I did not go to the gym yesterday morning because I had been in the evening on Friday and I was playing hockey Saturday night. I got up this morning and went to the 9:00 am class. I had not gotten home from hockey last night until midnight or so and when I got to the gym my posterior chain muscles (muscles on your rear from the base of the skull to the back of the knee) were pretty tight. Mostly my hamstrings, glutes, and lower back but my quads were a bit sore too. The warm up started with a 2 minute jump rope. I did OK on this but I think I picked a slightly short rope and it is pretty hard to do jump rope with a short rope. The rest of the warm up was 3 rounds:
  • 10 hip extensions
  • 10 PVC arm circles
  • 10 air squats
The workout was prescribed as 5 rounds for time:
The previous list has links to explanations of some of the exercises in case you don't know them. Given the soreness I was feeling in my posterior chain my heart dropped a bit when I saw this workout. I was thinking the deadlifts and slam balls were going to be brutal for me. I did the workout as prescribed in 20:46. I started pretty strong and finished as strong as I could but on the last round I split the deadlifts into 2 sets of 5 with a couple second break between them and I was doing the toes to bar moves one at a time. I did the slam balls on the last round in 2 sets of 10. I thought that was not too bad. The toes to bar seems to be one I struggle with and it is weird because it is not the move itself that is a problem but the grip. As I move through the workout it seems to get harder and harder to hold the bar without slipping off. I could probably do the moves 5 at a time at the end of this one if I could keep my hands on the bar. I might have to do some digging around online to see if there are any pointers for improving on that. I don't have grip issues with pull-ups but knees to elbows and toes to bar are tough to hold on for.

No comments:

Post a Comment