Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday Workout

Coach Michele was nice enough to repeat 3 of yesterdays 100 rep exercises during the warm up today for us so that was nice. We started off with a 400 meter run as usual and moved on to 3 rounds of:
  • 10 air squats
  • 10 abmat sit-ups
  • 10 push-ups
surprisingly I knocked all this out with no problem. When I first saw it up there I thought it might be a little tough for a warm up after yesterday. The prescribed workout was the following for time:
  • 30 toes to bar
  • 30 deadlifts (185/135)
  • 30 double unders (90 singles but not Rx'ed)
  • 30 hang cleans (95/65)
I have never done the toes to bar move before so coach Michele gave me the quick run down while I was waiting for Jackie to finish her warm up. I am usually the first one there and done with the warm up before everyone else. I tried one and was surprised I was actually able to get my toes up to the bar. If you don't know what this is have a look at this video, they make it look much easier than it is. I looked more like the bad examples by the end. I then went to set up my weights. I put the full weight on each, 185# for deadlift and 95# for hang clean, and tried a rep. I thought it didn't seem too bad so I figured I would try the weights as prescribed. I started off pretty good with the toes to bar and actually got my toes up above the bar for about the first 15. I did not do them unbroken though, this is a pretty hard pone to hold on to the bar on. After 15 I was doing maybe 3-4 at a time and not quite getting my toes above the bar. By the end I was looking a bit sloppy and doing 1-2 at a time but I finished it. I did all the deadlifts with the prescribed weight but did stop a few times during the 30. I stated off doing maybe 5 at a time and finished doing sets of 3. I did 90 single unders rather than the double unders which I just can't seem to do. Someone else there was doing doubles and only doing one at a time because they were tripping every other time. They then would take time reset and start again repeating the process. My thought is I would rather do the 90 and be able to keep moving through the whole thing and get a better workout from it but what the hell do I know. Finally came the hang cleans, check this video out for a demo. I did this one with the prescribed weight of 95# as well and started off strong with a couple sets of 5 but by the end I was doing them 2 at a time. This one is tricky as when you get tired you really need to concentrate on getting yourself down low in the squat position so you can get under that bar. I finished in 17:12 and I am pretty happy with that, especially considering I think this is the first workout I have done without scaling the weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment