Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Workout

Started off with 200 single under jump ropes just so I could demonstrate to everyone my complete lack of coordination, SUCCESS!! That was followed with a warm up of 3 rounds:

  • 10 air squats
  • 10 abmat sit-ups
  • 10 PVC arm circles
We then did a 10 minute skills work, no timer, in which we practiced Turkish get-ups. If you are unfamiliar with these, as I was, have a look at this video. I have done these a couple of times before with dumbbells when I was doing my own workouts at home but never with the kettlebells. These things are pretty difficult to get right and I can't imagine doing much wight with it if you were doing a timed workout. I was using a 25# kettlebell but might have been able to get as high as 30# if I did not need to do a lot. This is one of those moves that you risk dropping something real heavy on your head.

Following that we dis 20 minutes for total reps of overhead walking lunges (45/25). This move looks something like this although I think this guy needs to extend his arms more. I was initially concerned that my glutes and hamstrings were still sore from Saturday's workout but as it turns out that was the least of my worries. I could probably have done the lunges all day if I had the weight on a bar sitting on my shoulders or something. The real problem for me turned out to be holding 45# over my head for that amount of time. I did  the work in sets of 10 with a few seconds between sets, the few seconds got longer as time went on. I completed 250 reps in the 20 minute time frame. This is a great core workout which also surprised me, although I don't know why now that I think about it. It takes a lot of core strength to hold that weight overhead and do that move without falling over.

I cooled down with a 200 meter run and a bunch of stretching. Felt pretty damn good but I think I am going to be sore tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment