Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday Workout

Back to the gym today after missing Wednesday. I missed one day and I walk in at 6:00 am and there are 5 other people there none of which I recognized. It turns out that the gym is doing some sort of challenge through an outside organization and there are a bunch of people showing up as part of that. All of the people that showed were also deaf, we have a large deaf population in the area, which is good since I make all kinds of grunting and groaning noises when I work out.

The warm up started with 200 single under jumping jacks followed by 3 rounds:
  • 10 air squats
  • 10 mountain climbers
  • 10 push-ups
The workout was a strength workout written up on the board as For Weight:
  • 5,5,5,5,5 Back squat
  • 5,5,5,5,5 Front squat
The idea is you increase the weight each time to get to the highest weight you can do the 5 reps at with good form. I did the back squats with 135#, 135#, 145#, 145#, 155# and the front squats with 115#, 125#, 135#, 135#, 145#. I used a medicine ball behind me to make sure I was dropping as low as needed to get the full effect. The medicine ball is just there to make sure you get the full range of motion not to be used as a bouncing device. The sets where I did not increase weight were due to me feeling my form had suffered on the previous set, i.e. getting on toes at some point instead of pushing through heels or not getting full range of motion, and I did not want to increase the weight until I got the full 5 with good form. The last set of front squats I only got in 3 reps before I dropped the bar, could not make those last 2 happen but I will get it next time. I think I can probably do a bit more on the back squats next time. I might start 10# higher next time.

Standard crap on the cool down.


No comments:

Post a Comment