Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday Workout

Warm up started with a 2 minute jump rope followed by 3 rounds:
  • 10 PVC arm circles
  • 20 lunges
  • 10 GHD sit-ups
My right shoulder was bothering me a bit and the PVC arm circles hurt some. I have been having some problem with it when I sleep, waking up because it hurts the way I am laying and then when I move it there is a pop. I talked to coach Brent about it and he had me do some extra shoulder stretches before the workout and it feels fine now. We will see what happens tonight. I also had a little bit of a sore muscle in my lower left back yesterday from an awkward run into the boards in my hockey game on wed night. I had been taking a bit of advil for that and stretching it and all seems well this morning. The prescribed workout is a modified "Murph":
  • 800 meter run
  • 100 push-ups
  • 200 abmat sit-ups
  • 300 air squats
  • 800 meter run
The normal "Murph workout would be:
  • 1 mile run
  • 100 pull-ups
  • 200 push-ups
  • 300 air squats
  • 1 mile run
Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy was a Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan on June 28, 2005. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions when his 4 man team came under attack. All but one of the team were killed in that attack. It is worth doing a bit of reading about these guys. this was one of his favorite workouts and he was said to have done it every Wed. in body armor. So when it starts to get tough and you think you want to give up on this one suck it up and keep moving because it can't be as bad as these guys had it.

I started out strong running the first half mile in about 3:30 and then started pumping out push-ups. I made it to about 25 before I had to start breaking them into 10's then 5's, and finally by the end 2's. I had much more trouble with the sit-ups than I would have thought. I am usually really good with these but by the end I was doing them in 5's with maybe a second or two break. I guess 200 is a lot though. I did the air squats unbroken, 300 straight through with a med ball to make sure my depth was there. The first 50 meters of the second half mile was brutal after the squats. My legs felt like jello but after that they were fine and I finished it up strong in 35:40. this one was fun and you an do it anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment