Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wednesday Workout, Follow Doctors Orders

More on the doctors orders thing later but first the warm up started with a 2 minute jump rope followed by 3 rounds of:
  • 10 PVC overhead squats
  • 10 GHD sit-ups
  • 10 Back extensions
The workout prescribed was in two parts today. First we did 10 minutes of strength work prescribed as 5 sets of 2 reps each deadlifts for maximum weight. My weights for each set were 135#, 225#, 235#, 245# 255#. I actually did something like 10-12 reps on the first set with the 135# weight just to get moving and warmed up. Looking back at the blog it looks like the last time I did a deadlift max I did 265# for a 1 rep max. As I have mentioned before I am not really a big fan of doing a max on anything. I don't really think it helps me a whole lot with progress but it can leave me open to injury. I might have been able to do a bit more weight on this but I am not going to push it.

The metcon was prescribed as 5 rounds for time:
  • 21 kettlebell swings (53/35)
  • 12 wall ball shots (20/16)
  • 21 push-ups
Seems easy right, not so much. I scaled the kettlebell swings as usual to use 35# instead of 53#, maybe some day I will up that be the 53 still seems to cause my form to suffer too much for my liking. If it was 10 reps I might have gone with the heavier weight but not 21. I started off with the 20# ball for the wall balls but then at the end of round 2 I dropped the ball on my face which is probably not the best thing for my stitches in my mouth and also one of the things the dentist wanted me to avoid, trauma to the area. I took a step away and kicked myself for a second then continued the rest of the workout with the 16# ball instead. I maybe should have done that from the start. It seems to be fine although I think I did git a small bit of bleeding during the workout after it happened but I will be fine. The push-ups are a no brainer but by the time round 5 rolled around I was only able to knock them out three at a time with a second or so of down time in between those sets of 3. My time was 17:16.

The cool down was a 500 meter row and a bunch of stretching. I took the row slow after my face mushing just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment