Saturday, December 29, 2012

Saturday Workout

Today we started out, after the warm up, with 15 minutes to do a 5 rep max on front squats. I maxed out at 155# on this one. I might have been able to do a bit more but as I have mentioned in the past I am not a huge fan of trying to do max weight on any exercise, especially one where you can hurt your back. Looking back at my old entries it looks like last time we did a max on front squat we did 5 sets of 5 increasing each time to a max and I did 145# on the last set. So it looks like I still improved. The rest of the workout was prescribed as 5 rounds for time of:

  • 10 front squats (135/85)
  • 20 leg lifts
  • 20 ab mat sit-ups
I finished this in 16:52. The front squats were pretty tough for me at that weight. By the last round I could only knock out 3 to start it and was only doing 1 at a time by the end. I was pretty fast to jump back in though, so a quick step back from the bar and then right back in to do another. I was the only one using the medicine ball to make sure my range of motion was correct too, not sure why people don't use it more. I have a hockey tournament all day Monday so I probably won't go back to the gym until Wednesday. My shoulders are pretty sore from the Friday workout, feels good.

My parents are staying here for the holidays right now as well and my dad wanted to do a workout yesterday and asked me for something to do. I had him do the 10 rounds for time:

  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 sit-ups
  • 10 air squat
This was the Christmas Eve workout. He did 5 rounds in about 16 minutes or so, not bad especially since he doesn't do much working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment