Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sunday Workout

Usually I do a Saturday workout but I was out in the woods yesterday doing some deer hunting. First time ever, saw 4 deer but did not get a chance at any of them. I had a good time though. I went in today for the 9:00 am class and was more than a little dreading the workout after looking at it last night. This workout was broken into 2 parts and neither one looked like much fun. First was "Randy" which is the following for time:

  • 75 power snatches (75)
Randy Simmons was a 51 year old 27 year LAPD officer and member of their SWAT team that was killed in the line of duty. I have previously struggled with this move, for the elements of this one have a look at this video. I racked up the 75# on a 45# bar but instead of using 15# plates on each side I put 10# and 5# plates to give myself an out if needed. I do this sometimes because it makes me feel better. Coach Jay asked me about it and I told him I did not think I could get through 75 reps with that weight but I would do my best. 75# is almost half my body weight which is 155#. Even the smaller guys at my gym are typically more like 180# - 185# so this kind of weight is tougher for me than them. I decided I would concentrate on the form and see what I could do. I completed this in 8:57 which was the slowest of those at the gym today but not by much and only 2 of us were doing the prescribed weight. I did all of them with 75# and by the end I was still doing 5 at a time before stepping back from the bar for a second. Felt pretty good. However, I still had an AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible) to do.

The AMRAP was 15 minutes to do as many as possible of the following:

  • 10 wall ball shots (20/16)
  • 15 push-ups
  • 20 slam balls (20/10)
I HATE WALL BALL SHOTS!! That is my least favorite thing to do because I suck at them but because of that I really try to push to get as many at a time as I can. I started off doing all 10 at a time and ended doing 5 and 5. I did the weights as prescribed. I completed 4 rounds and up through 5 slam balls on the 5th round. I felt pretty much like someone kicked my ass at the end of this one. Feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment