Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wednesday Workout, Back At It

I went back to the gym this morning. My back has been feeling better. I was expecting some post game problems after the hockey game on Monday but nothing happened. I was a bit nervous going in this morning though especially after I looked at the workout last night. I just figured I will do what I can and not push too hard. I am going to stay away from kipping pull-ups too, just do dead hangs.

The warm up started with a 400 meter row followed by three rounds of:
  • 10 PVC arm circles
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 back extensions
I did the pull-ups dead hang to avoid any back problems with the kip. The back extension on the downward move of the kip seemed to be where my problems started last week so I figure it is just easiest to avoid that. The workout was prescribed as the following for time:
  • 20 thrusters (95/65)
  • 50 double unders
  • 16 thrusters
  • 40 double unders
  • 12 thrusters 
  • 30 double unders
  • 8 thrusters
  • 20 double unders
  • 4 thrusters 
  • 10 double unders
They are now doing a new thing at the gym where they are being very strict on what is and is not an Rx workout. The following was posted on their site and coach Brent brought this up today as well. "In an effort to ensure consistency in scoring we will focus on range of Motion in determining whether or not our athletes achieve Rx indication on their score. Therefore, if you receive a 'scaled' score and an indication of R.O.M., then your range of motion was not adequate. We will make every effort to let our athletes know how their Range of Motion is during the WOD so they can achieve full range of Motion." Coach brent told us to make sure we had a medicine ball down and that we touch it on the squat portion of the thruster if we want to get the full R.O.M. score. I am not really one to give a crap what they put on their web site but some people seem to really care that they get this Rx score instead of a scaled score. I have seen people argue a bit about what they did being acceptable. I think that is all a bit silly and I am just there to get a good workout and get in shape, call it whatever the hell you want. For example, any workout with double unders I do scaled.

For this workout today I did single unders at 3X what was prescribed for double unders so in round one I did 150 single and round two I did 120 single but this gets marked as scaled since I did not not do the doubles. I can't do the doubles so this one is a no brainer. I also scaled the weight today and did this with 75# instead of 95#. I originally put 95# on the bar and tried one or two during warm ups but it was clearly too heavy especially since I have had recent back pain. I completed this workout in 13:02. By the end I was doing the thrusters like 3 or 4 at a time. I am getting much better at jumping rope though and I no longer look like a complete idiot tripping over myself. Maybe one of these days I will actually be able to get a couple double done.

The cool down was a 500 meter row followed by a bunch of stretching. I had also done some additional pre-workout back stretching beyond what the others did just to make sure I did not aggravate  things again.

No comments:

Post a Comment