Monday, December 10, 2012

Monday Workout, Ignoring Doctors Orders (Sort Of)

As I mentioned Friday I had a dental surgery and was going to ask the dentist about when I could workout and play hockey again but I wasn't sure I would believe her suggestion. Well she proved to me that they have no idea what they are talking about. When I first sat down with her pre-surgery and asked her point blank about the gym and hockey she said you can go back to all your normal activity on Monday. Then, once the surgery was over she busts out the standard post surgical care sheet to read to me and have me sign. This sheet says I am to do no strenuous activity for a week. She reads this and realizes she had already told me something else and tries to backtrack saying something like well I know what I told you before but we like to keep your heart rate down for a week, blah blah blah blah... By this time I am tuning her out completely and decided I will just do what feels right based on how I am feeling. I was feeling good about going to the gym today and so I went, although I did skip hockey last night.

The warm up today started with a 400 meter run followed by 3 rounds of:
  • 10 air squats
  • 10 GHD sit-ups
  • 10 push-ups
The workout was prescribed as seven rounds for time of:
  • 7 handstand push-ups
  • 7 thrusters (95/63)
  • 7 knees to elbows
  • 7 deadlifts (95/63)
  • 7 burpees
  • 7 kettlebell swings (53/35)
  • 7 pull-ups
Seems real easy on paper but man was this one a bitch as it went along. I modified a couple of things here in this one. First off I did pike push-ups with a 24" box instead of handstand push-ups. I considered trying them but after the last time when I hurt my back I figured I will wait a bit before trying to get into that position again especially considering I have a mouth full of stitches. I also lowered the weight on the thrusters. I did the first 2 rounds with 95# then dropped to 75# and it is probably a good thing because I was only doing 2 at a time by the last round. I still did the deadlifts with 95# but I dropped to 35# on the kettlebell swings as I normally do. I also was doing jumping pull-ups by the end with a slow negative. As I mentioned before no more kipping for me for a while. I completed the workout in 31:51.

Cool down was a 500 meter row followed by a bunch of stretching. No problems with the mouth bleeding or anything so I think I made the right call on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment