Friday, December 21, 2012

Friday Workout

Today's workout was a new Hero WOD. This one has been named Victoria in honor of Victoria Soto, one of the teachers killed in the shooting in CT. If you would like to find out more information about her have a look around online but the story told by her students is that she died shielding them from the gunman giving them a chance to escape. The WOD was prescribed as 5 rounds for time:

  • 10 thrusters (95/65)
  • 12 burpees
  • 14 box jumps (24/20)
  • 12 sumo deadlift high pulls (95/65)
  • 27 kettlebell swings (53/35)
I scaled this one a bit by doing 75# for both the thrusters and the deadlift high pulls. I also used 35# on the kettlebell swings as I usually do. This was a very tough workout and I was hurting bad by the 4th round of this one but I pushed through and finished off as best as I could in 36:47. As with all of the hero WOD's when I began to feel real bad I just thought about Victoria and figured it could be worse, the WOD could be named after me and I kept moving. This is a technique I use on a regular basis even when not doing a hero WOD. There is not often a day that goes by that I do not think about some Marine I know was killed or just those I know that are still there and that can be great motivation to keep me from feeling sorry for myself in many situations. I will be missing tomorrow but will try to get in there Sunday, especially since the gym is closed Monday and Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment