Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday Workout

Into the gym for the 6:00 am class as usual. I had accidentally peeked at the web site late last night so I knew going in that the workout was going to be a 5k run. I would prefer to not know until I walk in what they are planning though, seems to be part of the fun of the whole thing for me. They post the workouts the night before though and I accidentally caught a glimpse, I need to be a bit more careful. Although I will say I slept better last night. On nights before the workouts when I don't know what is coming I sometimes have dreams, maybe nightmares is a better term, that I walk in ant there are 100 exercises listed on the whiteboard. This really has not been much of a problem for me but my wife is probably pissed that I am flopping around in bed at 4:00 am.

It was just me and Jackie (a woman who is regularly there at 6:00 am as well) in the class this morning. Jackie immediately says upon walking in that she isn't running and wants to do something else. Coach Michele told her to do yesterdays WOD (Workout Of the Day). She then asked me if I wanted to do the run or something else. I told her I would do whatever she tells me to do. This got a good reaction from the women who commented on what a good marriage I must have. I went on to explain that part of the reason I was coming to the gym is that I was tired of having to think about my workouts since I was coming up with all of them on my own and I just want someone to tell me what to do. I am sure this will change as time goes by given my personality but for now that is what I want. I did the 5k. Warm up was 500 meter row followed by 3 rounds of:

  • 20 walking lunges
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 jumping jacks
Workout was just the 5k which I ran in 25:05 which according to the pace calculator on coolrunning .com is an 8:04 mile pace over the distance. This is another blisteringly fast run for me compared to what I usually do. I ran by myself this morning too so that is pretty impressive. I did bring my music since I knew what was coming and I was consciously pushing myself pretty hard because I knew I was alone. I tried setting up my mapmyrun app to measure the distance this morning too but I have been having problems with that thing not getting the GPS properly and not working right. Maybe I need to find another one.

According to coach Michele they rarely do running at this gym and when they do it is never more than a 5k. It is interesting that I have run at a crossfit gym now twice in the last week. At both places no one wanted to run. At the other one they had 4 people show for a class that normally has 15 because people don't show on the running days. I understand you could do running at home but the consensus seems to be people don't want to run at all not that they are doing it on their own. While I can sympathize with that, I hate running, it seems to fly in the face of what crossfit is all about. The point is you could have to do anything in life so you should train for everything and running seems like a reasonable thing to have sprinkled in there.

I am really getting into this thing and I even noticed that yesterday when they have no morning class I missed going in for the workout. I wanted to do one. I am currently doing Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Saturday but as of now I don't like those days off. I need to be careful with this though and make sure not to put myself into it too much and burn out, I have a tendency to do that sometimes. I am either 110% into something or not interested at all and there is no in between. I will try to deal with the 4 days a week for now and be happy with it. I definitely am looking forward to it the night before which is good.

I talked to a friend last night about crossfit a little and I think I need to write a post explaining a little more about what it is, what it is not, why I am drawn to it, how to get started, what to avoid, how much it costs, and a whole bunch more. I realize looking back at these that I never really covered the basics of this thing for people so maybe this weekend I will spend a bit of time with that. I have been poking around the edges of crossfit for about a year now with research and my own workouts so I guess I didn't even think about the fact that others may have no idea what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment