Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday Workout

Today was a short one, barely felt like I got going. We will see though what I feel like tomorrow. Warm up began with a 400 meter run followed by three rounds of:

  • 10 air squats
  • 10 jumping jacks
  • 10 GHD sit-ups
The workout was prescribed as follows:

For time: 21-15-9

  • Deadlift (225/155)
  • Pull-ups
What this means is three rounds with reps drooped each time. Do 21 reps the first round, 15 reps the second round, and 9 reps the third round. I have not done a deadlift with a barbell in maybe 10 years, maybe even more. I asked for a brief explanation from coach Michele of the elements of the move and set up the bar with 135#. I tried one and decided I would just leave it at that for today given I had no idea what it would feel like to pull 21 of them. I concentrated on my form with this weight and it did not seem overly heavy. Next time I might try it from the ladies tee, the second weight listed is meant for women. I made it through the workout in 9:58 with a black band on some pull-ups and the last round of pull-ups done with jumps and slow negative. I can not stress enough ho much I suck at pull-ups. I can pull out maybe 10 before I need to do some sort of assist but add in the deadlift before it and I think I made it to only about 5 before the band was used. It is a great exercise and works a huge set of muscles but I just don't seem to improve on it much at all. Even after 90 days of P90X with tons of pull-ups I think my max was still only 16 if I remember correctly.

Cool down was a 200 meter run and some stretching. I did some extra stretching again as well. I figure I have had back problems in the past and I just did deadlifts for the first time in years, better stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment