Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Workout


Got up at 5:30 am this morning to head to crossfit srt again, got to sleep in a bit. There were only 4 of us there for the workout this morning. Warm up began with a 400 meter run followed by 3 rounds:
  • 10 pull ups
  • 10 air squats
  • 10 abmat sit-ups
I had to use a band on the second 2 sets of pull ups but I used the thinnest one they had. Pull ups just seem to really kick my ass but man that is a good exercise.

Next came the workout.
3 rounds for time:
  • 20 hanging clean (135/95)
  • 20 burpees
I was not real sure about the hanging clean so the coach showed me the move with just the bar and had me do it a couple times with the bar while watching. We then tried to put some weight on and started with 95#. I did 2 and the coach suggested we drop the weight because my form was pretty weak with that weight. I ended up doing the workout with 75#. If I were to do this one again I think I could maybe do 85# or at least start there and drop it a bit part way through. I finished in about 11:30, not 100% sure because they do not post my results because I am not yet a member. I do know I finished second just after the first guy and his time is down as 11:18. Of course I was pushing significantly less weight that the other two men there were, they each did the 135# as RX'd.

The cool down was:
  • 200 meter run
  • Sampson stretch (this is the one I couldn't remember the name of Wed.)
  • PVC arm circles 
I enjoyed the workout again and it was good to see that the coach took the time to explain the exercise to me. I also like the fact that there appear to be very few people attending the early class. I don't like the fact that this gym only does the early morning class on Mon/Wed/Fri. I play hockey and if I have a late game I am not going to go the next morning and would like the option to shift days. They do have classes 7 days a week though and some in the evenings so it could work out. I have liked all the people attending the classes so far as well. I think I am going to try another class tomorrow at 9:00 am to see what the turnout is like.

I am going next week to check out another gym in the area. They sent me some info and set up a time for me to come try a class.This one is called crossfit frederick and based on the prices they sent is a bit more expensive. The owner mentioned this when I told her I was doing a trial at crossfit SRT. She also seemed to indicate their coaching might be better. I am interested to see what that means. I want someone to help me if I need it but I don't want someone hovering all the time either. Of course my wife is thinking of trying the gyms too and I think we might disagree on this point. The crossfit frederick gym also requires a $100 2.5 hour introductory class before you can take the classes. They teach you all the moves and such. I am going to ask about taking it without having a membership. If we joined the other gym this might be a good option for my wife. The class schedules at crossfit frederick are more morning friendly for me with early classes 5 days a week and a few classes Sat morning but they are closed on Sundays.

I am a bit surprised at the cost of the crossfit gyms in general. I think the problem is that what I know is the fees for a standard gym and this is really a different animal. at your standard gym you just pay for entry through the door while at crossfit you are paying for the programming and coaching as well. Everything is a class, they call it that but it is really a timed specified workout, with a coach present to guide, help, spot, whatever. I like the timed workout with others thing because I tend to be competitive and this environment really gets me pushing myself to do more. I think some see this as a weakness of crossfit that can lead to injury but as long as you are listening to your body and competing against the clock you should be good. There is risk of injury in any sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment