Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Lots of Squats

I walked into the gym about 5 minutes before 0600 this morning and there were 3 people I have never seen before there and none of the 0600 regulars. eventually Jackie and Elissa showed up so there were 6 of us for the workout along with coach Brent. The warm up was one round:

  • 30 jumping jacks
  • 20 hug the twinkie
  • 10 strict toes to bar
I had never done a hug the twinkie so I looked it up last night and found this video, coach Brent also demonstrated for us. We then did 10 minutes of skill/strength work which was 10 tire flips with a partner. You flip the tire to your partner who then flipped it back. Coach Brent went over the elements of the move and we concentrated on the form he described. I ended up doing the heaviest tire by the end, amazing how much more you can do when your form is right. The workout today was a "Sean" named for Army Staff Sergeant Sean M. Flannery. You can find some more information on him here. The workout is 10 rounds for time:

  • 11 chest to bar pull-ups
  • 22 front squats (75/55)
I did the squats with the prescribed weight but the pull-ups I ended up doing jumping after the first round, pretty typical for me. I also took a hit on range of motion for the pull-ups on the last couple rounds. I was not getting my chest to touch the bar, I was getting the height but the forward movement to actually touch was short so I was coming up just shy. This is a brutal workout that feels like it is never going to end. The number of front squats is just crazy. By the end I was doing 10/8/4 instead of 22 straight through and it was still killing my legs. I was not taking very long breaks but I was putting the bar down. If you don't include the 3 people that did not do all 10 rounds I finished first this morning. Completed in 37:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment