Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wednesday Workout

Warm up started with a 500 meter row and then continued with 3 rounds:

  • 10 mountain climbers
  • 10 ab mat sit-ups
  • 10 air squats
Next came the workout "Daniel" for time:

  • 50 pull-ups
  • 400 meter run
  • 21 thrusters (95/65)
  • 800 meter run
  • 21 thrusters (95/65)
  • 400 meter run
  • 50 pull-ups
I had to scale the pull-ups as usual. The first 10 I knocked out without any assistance then used a blue (very thin) band up to 35 and switched to a green band (thicker band) for the final 15. On the second set of pull-ups I did roughly the same breakdown but switched to green earlier and by the end was doing them in sets of 3-5 and jumping as well. 50 pull-ups at the end of this work out is hard as shit. If you are unfamiliar with band assisted pull-ups have a look at this video for how it works, ignore the grip. On the thrusters, here is a video demo, I was unsure what weight to do so tried a few different weights before we started the clock and settled on 85#. Coach Michele watched me getting set up and corrected me on depth on the front squat part so I made that correction. I actually grabbed a 16# wall ball and put it on the floor behind me and when I did the squats made sure my ass touched the ball, sorry to whoever will be using it next. I made it through most of the workout with the 85# on the bar but dropped to 75# for the last 6 reps. I feel pretty good about that since I was only slightly in front of the men's tee for most of the workout. I completed the workout in 26:39, not bad I think.

This workout is named for Daniel Crabtree, a SFC in the Army National Guard who was killed in Iraq on 06/08/2006 from a IED attack. To find out more about Daniel have a look at this link. Always remember when you are doing these workouts where these names come from and why. When you think you can't finish or it is just too hard think about how hard things were for these people and their families and pick your ass up and keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment