Monday, December 23, 2013

Finally Worked Out Again

If you recall all that long time ago when I did that 10k relay with my sister I mentioned I had a chest cold. I was having a hell of a time breathing and was coughing like I still smoked or something. I could not shake that thing for the longest time and I tried some running a couple times but I really could not get any air once I started working out so I figured I would just give it a week or two. Well just as I was getting better we had a snow and ice storm here and I slipped and went feet up on the street in front of the house and hurt my back. I was out of commission for a bit longer with that and finally now felt like I could get back at it. I think it has been just about a month sincce I did any regular sort of workout.

I started off with a warm-up of 200 jump rope singles followed by 3 rounds:

  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 sit-ups
  • 10 PVC arm circles
I then did a bunch of stretching focusing on my back. I figured I might as well be safe and take the extra time. I did three supersets as follows for the workout:
  • 5 sets of 3
    • back squat @ 118#
    • box jumps (weight bench)
  • 3 sets mixed reps
    • kettlebell swings @ 35# 20 reps
    • pull-ups 5 reps
    • dips 8 reps
  • 3 sets mixed reps
    • farmers walk @ 45# each arm for 40 paces
    • hanging knee raise 10 reps
I was certainly a bit out of it today after so long off but it felt good to get back at it. I am going to modify a Spartan beast workout plan I found a bit and work that for the next couple months I think. It is based on 4 days a week of work with day 1 being strength based, day 2 is anaerobic, day 3 is running, and day 4 is muscle endurance. Day 3 is supposed to be trail running and I will do some of that but I will also do road running and probably mix in some work wit a 50# pack as well. I have some thoughts on some other modifications as well but we will see. Mostly I just want to keep it interesting. I actually did not do all that was prescribed for today but it is pretty aggressive and seeing how I am coming off a month break I figure I will work up to the workouts over a couple weeks. The plan I am basing this on is here if you want to have a look.

Good to be back at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment