Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The One That Did Me In, Almost

So I took a look at the gym's website last night and was really struggling to decide if I was going to go in or not this morning. The workout was almost the same as the one I had hurt my back on a few weeks back and to be honest I was more than a little nervous about it. I went in anyway. The warm up was 300 single jump ropes followed by 3 rounds:

  • 10 sit-ups
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 air squats
No problems so far but then the workout. This was a 20 minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible)

  • 30 box jumps (24/20)
  • 20 push press (115/75)
  • 30 pull-ups
This differs in numbers from the one where I got hurt and we did toes to bar instead of pull-ups but it was pretty damn close. I did step ups on the box instead of the jumps as I did last time we had box jumps. I also dropped the weight on the push press to 75#. When I did the injury I got hurt on I had 95# on the bar. I also, as usual was doing jumping pull-ups with a slow negative pretty early on. I am still trying to avoid any type of kipping and I think I will keep it that way possibly forever. I completed 2 rounds and made it up to 18 pull-ups on the third round. I took it pretty slow and stretched a few times in the middle. I noticed on the push press that after about 6 reps or so I could feel some breakdown in form that was causing some pressure in the back. I talked to the coach about it a bit and I think my core was not tight enough. It seems that I start out with it tight and then as I fatigue that goes first and causes some over extension in the lower back, there is a good description of this problem in an article I read here. I think there may need to be a bit of work on my part to get my core and glutes more engaged in this exercise and I possibly want to add some side core work to my routine along with some stretching. I have been thinking on what kind of changes to make to avoid future injury and this may be part of it. I also may be changing where I workout soon but more to come on that in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment