Monday, March 11, 2013

Back In

So I have not posted anything for a while... because I have not been to the gym for a while. Last time I was at the gym was Feb 25th and it did not end well. My back had been a little sore the week before although nothing major. That morning it was fine and I went in and knocked out the warm up which started with an 800 meter run followed by 3 rounds of:
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 10 PVC arm circles
  • 5 pull-ups
I then started the workout which was an 18 minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible):
  • 15 box jumps (24/20)
  • 12 push press (115/75)
  • 9 toes-to-bar
I only loaded up 95# for the push press and went to work on the workout. Knocked out round one no issue. On the first box jump of round 2 my back just seized up before I made it to the box. I fell out of mid air and hit the floor in a heap. I ended up doing a bunch of stretching and such for a while to get myself moving again and then went home. I ended up in bad shape and taking 2 days from work because of inability to do things like walk and sit. I went to the doctor and got some muscle relaxers and NSAIDs and tried to stretch as much as able. After 4-5 days or so I was feeling significantly better. I did play hockey one day last week but was still feeling very nervous about going to the gym. I have had back issues in the past and even ended up on my ass with no feeling in my legs before but this was different. There was no warning. In the past it would get sore and then get worse and worse but not this time. Finally I decided I need to get back to the gym today, gotta do it sometime and it worked out well. I took it slow but I feel good.

I did the warm up but substituted abmat sit-ups for GHD to protect my back. The workout was 5 rounds for time:
  • 20 bench press (135/85)
  • 20 pull-ups
  • 400 meter run
I started out with 115# on the bar and dropped to 10%3 during the 3rd round and 95# in the 5th round. I also used a band for the pull-ups pretty early on so I could make sure to not revert to kipping since I want to avoid that if at all possible. I completed the workout in 35:48, slowest of all 4 of us there but I did it and remained uninjured, SUCCESS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment