Monday, July 1, 2013

Time to get serious

I have a spartan race coming up in August so I think it is time to get back at this thing seriously. Got up this morning and started with 150 jump rope singles followed by 3 rounds:

  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 abmat sit-ups
  • 10 PVC arm circles
Following this we dis 15 minutes to get a bench press 1 rep max. I have mentioned before I am not a big fan of any 1 rep max work but what the hell we did it anyway. I did 148#, 158#, 168#, and 178#. following this the workout was prescribed as a 15 minute EMOM (Every Minute On the Minute) of:

  • 5 burpees
  • 10 push press (75/55)
For an EMOM you do the prescribed round at the top of each minute and then when done rest until the top of the next minute. So for this one the idea is you would do this set of work 1 times, once each minute. I loaded the bar with 78# and got to work. It became apparent after the first round that this was going to be an AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible) for me and not an EMOM. I finished the first minutes wotrk just in time for the start of the next minutes work, i.e. no break.I started the second round and had to drop the weight on the bar part of the way through because my form was suffering too much and as I mentioned before these overhead exercises are tough with my back sometimes. I dropped it to 58# and finished at that. I worked throughout, mostly. I was doing the push presses in 2 sets of 5 with a couple seconds between after the first couple rounds. I ended up finishing 10 full rounds and through 3 push presses on round 11. I probably would have made 11+ if I did not stop to drop the weight down to 58#. Will be trying something new tomorrow that I have not done in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment