Saturday, November 17, 2012

Saturday Workout

Not sure what the deal was today but there were only 3 of us there for the 9:00 am class. Usually this one is packed, maybe the Thanksgiving holiday has people out of town. The warm up started with a 400 meter run followed by 3 rounds of:

  • 10 air squats
  • 10 mountain climbers
  • 10 push-ups
The workout prescribed was "fight gone bad". It is a 5 round workout for rep count prescribed as follows.

  • Wall ball (20)
  • Sumo deadlift high pull (75)
  • Box jumps (20 in)
  • Push press (75)
  • Row for calories
  • Rest for 60 seconds
The way this works is you do as many reps as possible of the first exercise in one minute and then move on to the next for one minute and the next for one minute. After the one minute rest at the end you do the whole thing again. repeat 5 rounds. Your score is the total rep count for all exercises, with calories burned used for the row instead of reps. This was designed as a training tool for MMA fighters to simulate the five minute rounds of a fight with a one minute rest between. Sometimes you will see it done with only 3 rounds which would be a non-title fight. My score was 333 reps. The wall balls kick the crap out of me every time no matter what workout you put them in.

The cool down was a 200 meter run and some stretching as usual. I am feeling pretty good although I can tell I was off for a week. I am glad to have done some workouts recently that I had done in the past though since that is really the only way I can know for sure that I am getting in better shape. Wed was a good indication as I felt way better on that one than I did when I had done it not that long ago and my time was way better for such a short time. The gym is adjusting the workouts a bit too as I mentioned and I think I like the new program.

No comments:

Post a Comment