Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hero WOD

Got up this morning and started with a warm up of 150 jump rope singles followed by 3 rounds:

  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 abmat sit-ups
  • 10 air squats
I also did some stretching once I got that done. Today's workout was DT, with a bit of an extra thrown on the end. DT is a hero WOD named in honor of USAF SSGT Timothy P. Davis who was killed in February 2009 by an IED. To learn a bit more about him you can have a look here or I am sure you can find more info elsewhere. The workout is prescribed as 5 rounds for time:

  • 12 Deadlift (155/115)
  • 9 Hang power clean (155/115)
  • 6 Push jerk (155/115)
Now I con deadlift 155# but there is no chance in hell I am cleaning or push jerking 155#. I put 153# on my deadlift bar, I have 28# bars so my numbers will vary a little from standard. I loaded up another bar with 113# and tried a couple cleans and it was not happening. I lowered it until I felt I could do both exercises without killing my form. I settled on 78# and then began the workout. I had to split the deadlifts into 2 sets of 6 with a second or two in between. On the cleans I was doing 2 sets each time as well of 5 and 4. My forearms were screaming on those. I also put the bar back down after the cleans so I had to do one extra each round to get to the rack position for the push jerk.  I was able to do all the push jerks unbroken at that weight. I probably could have done a bit more on the push jerk but I only have 2 bars so there was no way I could do 3 different weights without spending a lot of time switching weights. I completed the 5 rounds in 20:10 and was sweating like a whore in church by the end.

The bit of extra I mentioned was that once this DT workout is done you go immediately into a timed 1 mile run. I completed the mile in 7:40, not bad considering I just did that workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment