Monday, April 15, 2013

Not missing, just busy

I have not posted much here in a while. I have been missing gym days most of the time over the last couple weeks due to lot's of hockey and work travel. The hockey does not bother me too much because I am still doing something active but the work travel... Sometimes on travel I can get a workout in depending on when meetings are and such but other times between meetings and "dinner's" with sponsor's it can be tough to get one in. This last week I was in NC and I did get a 2.5 mile run in on Wednesday. I ran at a 8:15 pace, not too shabby but I can do better. On Saturday we went to my son's school for a 1 mile fun run and they were also having a 5K. I was planning to just do the fun run with the kids but when we got there I was told I could do both for the same price so I figured what the hell. The 5K was first and I ran it in 23:19 which works out to about a 7:45 pace. Again, this is not too shabby for a guy who really does pretty much no running. My gym will put a run in a workout every couple months but when they do it is usually 1 mile. I think I have done a 3 mile run at the gym once since I started there.

I went back in to the gym this morning for the workout and the warm up was 3 rounds:
  • 100 meter sprint
  • 10 medicine ball burpees (16/12)
  • 20 plate hug squats (25/15)
  • 30 flutter kicks
The workout was prescribed as follows:
  • 500 meter row
  • 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 1
    • burpees
    • overhead squats (95/65)
    • wall ball shots (20/14)
  • 400 meter run
So you do the row and then 10 rounds of the 3 exercises in a descending ladder and then finish with a run. I put 75# on the bar to start with but pretty quickly dropped it to 65#. This is one of those tough on your back exercises that I like to be real careful on. Anything where you are putting weight up over your head tends to be a red flag for people with back issues. Not that I can't do them, I just need to adjust the weight and pay very close attention to a tight core and what it is feeling like as I go through. I finished this in 23:09.

In other news, I have informed the gym that this month is my last month of membership. With all the hockey and travel as well as some other things that have come up I could no longer justify the $135 a month cost. My gym only has the 0600 class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday so if I miss one because of a hockey game the night before it is very difficulty to make it up. I usually am not home from work in tome to make the evening classes. I understand why they do it, there are usually only 3-4 of us there at 0600 so I can't blame them but it just is not working well for me. This weekend my wife and I went to a play it again and bought a couple of Olympic bars and I am planning on ordering some bumper plates, kettlebells, slam balls, and ab mat as well. I figure I can use the slam balls for wall balls as well and this should be enough to get us going at home with most things needed for most workouts. She is going to start doing them with me and I will just do the WOD the gym posts. For now I will start with the gym I have been going to so I can make sure I am pushing myself enough. I know the folks there and they post their times so I will have a point of comparison to know if I am slacking off or not. Eventually I may try to switch it up and try some programming from some other places. It will be fun to work out with the wife again, although she is not much of a motivator and is certainly not going to push me at all. Still, she could use the weight work and plyo to help with impending osteoporosis that runs in the family so it is all good. I will just have to be sure to push myself and keep good records so I can compete with myself when workouts repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment