Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 3, Arms and Shoulders

Today's workout is almost all weights which is different from the rest. I think we did 2 exercises that did not use dumbbells. The tough part today was trying to get the weight right and still keep up with the workout. I initially had the weights too low on pretty much everything and adjusted up on the second set. Some things were good at that point but I will still need to increase a few next time we do this one. We had to pause the video a bunch of times because we got a little bit behind them. Part of this was us taking time to decide on the right weight and part of it, at least for me, was adjusting the bowflex dumbbells to that weight. I started getting better at setting the dumbbells as the workout went on and I think that next week when I already know the exercises and the weights to use for each I should be able to keep up. If you don't know what the dumbbells I am talking about are or how they are adjusted you can see them here. I bought these because they were the easiest to adjust of all the adjustable dumbbells I tried. I went with adjustable because I don't have room for a full set of dumbbells and the same amount of weights would have cost over twice as much. Based on today I don't know how you would do this workout at all with some of the more difficult to adjust dumbbells out there so think about that if you decide to do the program. This was a pretty complete arm and shoulder workout and I can already tell I am going to feel it later. My legs are a little sore from yesterday but don't seem nearly as bad as last time we did plyometrics. My chest and back are still somewhat sore as well. I am feeling good.

We also had to do the Ab Ripper X workout again today. We were able to do a lot more of the reps this time, or at least it seemed that way. I for sure felt this burning throughout the workout and I am sure I am going to have a really sore midsection. this is a very tough ab routine but it is a lot of fun as well. Sean, our 4 year old son, came down at the start of this and wanted to try so he did a bunch of these as well. He apparently has a much stronger core than either Sarah or I because he was able to do some of these without seeming to be putting forth any effort, amusing. He likes to try out exercises any time we do them, he doesn't really do a whole workout but he has fun getting involved. Sofia, 1 1/2, also was trying to do some. Tomorrow is Yoga X. I am looking forward to trying it although it is 1.5 hours.

Post Workout:
  • Whey Protein (26 grams Protein GNC 100% Whey in skim milk)
  • Creatine (5 grams in water)

Breakfast:

  • Oatmeal (1 cup)
  • 1 banana

Snack:

  • 2 low fat string cheese mozzarella

Lunch:

  • Asian chicken salad (recipe in the nutrition guide I think but Sarah made it so maybe not)

Snack:

  • 1.5 oz. spicy cashews

Dinner:

  • 9 oz. shrimp (These and the broccoli were cooked in a sauce that Sarah made - chicken broth, crushed red pepper, garlic, ???)
  • 2 cups broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment