Sunday, May 13, 2012

We have been doing the same body weight circuit workout for the last couple weeks with one slight adaptation, I added in 10 pull ups at the end. In case you forgot what it was the circuit was:
  • 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 10 dumbbell rows (each arm)
  • 1 minute plank
  • 30 jumping jacks
  • 10 pull ups (or max with good form if you can't complete 10)
We start with a 5 minute warm up and then perform 3 iterations of this circuit for time. I completed it yesterday in 14:20 although I only did 7 pull ups each time not 10. This has been followed up with 3 rounds to failure of the following 3 exercises.

  • Crunch on the stability ball (I added weight to this by holding a dumbbell)
  • Back extension on the stability ball
  • Oblique core twists with straight legs
I then finished up with an interval high intensity run/walk combination with 1 minute on 1 minute off for 10 rounds. My wife does not do the running but does yoga once or twice a week. We have been doing this 3 times a week and I have been playing hockey 1 or 2 times as well.


I am looking to modify the circuit and core circuit for this week somewhat but will probably leave push ups and pull ups in there no matter what. I am also going to start dropping 5 seconds off the rest on the interval runs this week so it will be 1 minute sprint followed by 55 second rest for 10 rounds. We will see how this goes for a week or 2 and then drop another 5. My goal would be to drop to a 30 second rest eventually. This is a good cardio workout for hockey which is usually a short 1 minute shift all out followed by a brief recovery on the bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment